Sunday, September 8, 2013

Thank God I'm a country girl!

Sugar & Spice have done some pretty cool things this summer besides our regular bookings.  We have played at farmers markets, at Rock Creek, Concert Under the Oaks and Footloose Fridays.  Last night we added to that list with a gig at Crazy Acres camp grounds by Ackley.  We got this booking when we were playing at Heritage Care Center in Iowa Falls for their Happy Hour.  Two sisters were there visiting and thought we would be a hit at the camp ground, so the booking was made.  We never know what to expect when we play for the public but these two ladies were pretty friendly, so thought it couldn't be all that bad.

We played in a big machine shed that had picnic tables and chairs for people to set at and some people brought snack food.  It was a little warm inside and with the help of a big fan - thanks again Andy - it wasn't to bad.  At first I think the crowd was there to see just what or who Sugar & Spice were.  We played from 8 to 11 and most people stuck around until about 10, but about 15 stayed to the end.  Despite the fact that the floor was concrete and was cracked and uneven we did have quite a few dancers.

There were also a few uninvited guests there, despite the breeze from the fan the flies were biting and during one song that I was singing I thought I felt something on my neck, well I looked down at my shoulder and saw a big black hard shelled bug crawling on my arm, then on my neck and THEN it went crawling "willy nilly" UNDER by shirt.  Now I'm probably exaggerating when I say it was at least an inch and a half long, but Phil's wife saw it too and she was setting about 20 feet from me........of course by the time I was done with the song it had found a new home someplace else.  Other than the funny look on my face this country girl didn't miss a word to the song!  

For you campers this is a pretty cool camping spot with a nice restaurant/bar.  They also have pens with Elk, goats and miniature ponies as well as a bunch of cats - and oh yes, big black hard shelled bugs!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment