Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Don't wait....do it NOW!

I have been wanting to write this for about 3 weeks, and although I have a lot to do I can't put it off any longer.  Even if we don't admit it, most of us make a New Years resolution.  And most of us don't keep them. Even though it is a couple weeks before New Years I have a great idea!  It came to me the other day when we were playing at Granger  Nursing & Rehab.  As we were playing a young man brought in mail to the residents who were listening to our music.  He would open the cards - I'm assuming they were Christmas cards and then read them to the resident.  It hit me that many of nursing home residents eye sight isn't good enough to read or need to have their mail read to them.  A light bulb probably came on over my head....wouldn't it be great if more people would make their New Years resolution to volunteer before Christmas and then keep it throughout the year.

There are many ways to volunteer, here are just a few ideas.  Help them play Bingo...this is a big one, they all love Bingo.  Painting fingernails....you wouldn't believe the smiles I get when I mention how I like the color of their nails.  Read the paper, or mail to them.  Put puzzles together, or play cards with them.  In the summer take them out in the court yard for fresh air and the activity directors can always use help with games or crafts.

Please think about going into a nursing home and meeting some of the neat people that live there.  They have so many stories to tell.  You will find you will get back just as much, if not more than you give!

No comments:

Post a Comment